The Revenue Inspector is the executive assistant to the Tahsildar. Depending on the area and population of the taluk, each taluk is split in to convenient numbers of hoblis or each hobli or circle is headed by a R.I. circles.
R.I. is appointed for a circle. Depending on the size of the circle, a Revenue Inspector heads 10 to 20 Village Accountants. His main function is to supervise the work of Village Accountants working under him, and furnish information, reports etc., to the Tahsildar as and when called for.
Revenue Inspector is a vital link between the Village Accountant and the Tahsildar. He is required to be in constant touch with the Village Accountants and the Tahsildar. He is required to perform all the duties prescribed under the Karnataka Land Revenue Act, 1964 and Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961 & in or under any other law for the time being in force.
Following are the various functions of the R.I.
- Supervise the work of VA :
- Insist the VA to keep all the Registers and forms in the prescribed formates.
- Insist the VAs to bring all the records update.
- Ensure that the VA resides in a central village fixed by the D.C.
- Bring to the notice of Tahsildar, the wrong entries, if any made in the Village Records.
- Ensure that Revenue collections are made by VA and proper receipts issued and the amount collected is remitted to the Taluk Treasury before 25th of each month.
- Ensure that VA keeps the Record of rights register and Mutation Register open for public inspectioln.
- Enure that VsA issues certified copies of records, to the applicants within 10 days.
- At the time of introduction of Record of Rights, VA is required to prepare the preliminary records as prescribed under Rule 40 of Karnataka Land Revenue Rules, 1966. RI should supervise and see that preliminary records are prepared properly.
- Ensure that, the VA , as soon as intimation slips in Form 10, or information in forms 19 and 20 are received effects entries in the chronological order of receipt , in the Register of Mutations. He should also ensure that a copy of such entries in the Mutation Register is exhibited in the Village Chavadi for 30 days. ( rule 64 of K.R.R. Rules, 1966)
- He should check the Mutation Register and see that transfer of entries from the Mutation Register to Record of Rights Register is made by the VA, after due procedure is followed. ( rule 66 of KLR Rules 1966)
- In times of drought, VA is required to conduct crop-cutting experiments in villages where neither the Tahsildar nor the RI have done it. RI should see that these experiments are done properly ( KLR Rules Rule 147).
- Insist the VA keeps uptodate “List of lands available for Disposal” for inspection of the Public ( Rule 5 of KLG Rules 1969).
- Should check up the various pension registers kept by VA and ensure that right persons receive the pension and that the pensions are discontinued immediately after the pensioner dies or migrates or otherwise becomes disentitled to receive the pension. Pension includes Old Age Pension, Disabled Pension and Destitute Widow’s Pension.
- At the time of introduction of Record of Rights, after the Preliminary Record is prepared by the VA, it should be checked by the Revenue Inspector and should be read over to the villagers assembled in the chavadi, on a prespecified day, and objections if any should be considered and entered in the Register of Disputed Cases. ( Rule 41 of K.L.R. Rules, 1966).
- In times of drought, RI is required to conduct crop- cutting experiments in 20% of the villages in the drought affected tract and report the results to Tahsildar, in order to consider the question of remission of land revenue ( Rule 47 K.L.R. Rules, 1966).
- If a person liable to pay land revenue fails to pay the amount due within 7 days of the service of Demand Notice, the VA should make a report to the Tahsildar should destrain the defaulters’ movable property which may be brought to sale by RI after giving vide publicity for such as sale and after following the procedure prescribed under Rule 113. (Rules 112 and 113 of KLR Rules, 1966)
- When the Tahsildar asks for a report on land grant applications, the RI should verify whether the particulars in the application are correct and should report the facts to the Tahsildar.
- In conversion cases of agricultural land into nonagriculture purpose RI is expected to conduct spot inspection and mahazar and then report to the Tahsildar.
- The Revenue Authorities are required to issue various certificates viz., Solvency Certificate, Survivorship Certificate, Domicile Certificate, Residential Certificate etc. The Revenue Inspector is required to verify and report to the Tahsildar in all these cases. Besides, the Tahsildar is required to issue a large number of Caste Certificates and Income Certificates. When these are required for educational purposes, verification before issue, by RI is not required. However, when the educational institutions refer the certificates for verification, RI has to verify and report to the Tahsildar. In case the Caste and Income Certificates are required for purposes of appoint etc., RI is required to verify in detail and report to the Tahsildar, who issues the Certificates, based on the RIs Report. Likewise in case of citizenship Certificate also, the responsibility of verification lies on the RI. In case of Foreign Citizens verification certificate, the RI is required to verify and specify the whereabouts of a Foreign Citizen ( who has come to the country for a limited period)
- RI has to perform the functions under Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961 as listed in the Chapter on a Land Reforms.
- In case of natural calamities like floods or fire, RI is responsible for issue of S.O.S ( distress signal). Immediately after he comes to know about the danger, he should by “ Tom-Tom” etc., inform and warn the people about the calamity and issue instructions to protect themselves by evacuating from the danger area etc.
- In times of Scarcity RI should assist, in the collection and distribution of Food and Fodder, making available drinking water and in the maintenance of cattle camps. He should inform the people about the relief measures and should see that the benefit of relief works goes to the people in distress.
- RI should assist the Tahsildar in achieving the target fixed for collection of small savings.
- When epidemics break out, RI should inform the concerned authorities and should assist in arranging inoculation centres etc.
- He should assist in arranging Family Planning Camps.
- In case of communal disturbances, when peace committees are formed, RI is made an ex-officio Member of such Committee.
- RI should see that various provisions of orders issued under the Essential Commodities Act 1955, are not contravened. Cases of such contravention should be reported to the Tahsildar.
- Any activity regarding manufacture or collection of intoxicants should be reported by the RI to the Excise / Police / Revenue officer.
- At the time of Elections, RI has additional responsibility. He has to assist the enumeration and in the preparation of voters list. At the voting time, he is responsible for arranging polling booths.
- In the Districts of Mysuru, Mandya, Bengaluru, Tumakuru, Chikkamagaluru, Chitraduraga, Kolara, Shivamogga, Hassana, Kalaburgi, Bidar and Raichur, RI assist the Tahsildar in administration of Muzrai institutions. He functions as a Muzrai Officer in Jatras and Rathotsavas etc., In the districts of Mysuru, Mandya, Bengaluru, Tumakuru, Chitradurga, Kolara, Shivamogga, Hassan, Chikkamagaluru RI is responsible for sending the proposals recommending names of persons for appointment of Dharmadarsis to the Muzrai Institutions.
- RI helps in the arrangements of Gramasandarshan and takes active part in it along with his VAs.(A day is fixed for Gramasandarshan. The rural beneficiaries, the Officers of various departments like Revenue, Development etc, and the Bank Authorities meet at a mutually convenient place. There, in a small function, cheques for loans sanctioned / subsidy given etc are distributed. In case of Land Grants, Certificates of Grant are handed over. In case of pensions sanctioned, orders are given. Distribution of fertilizers and seeds etc is also done. The idea is to bring the benefits to the door of the beneficiary and cut out the various formalities and expedite the delivery of benefits to the needy.)
- RI is appointed as Inspecting Officer by District Registrar under section 18 of the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969, He has to inspect the records of births and deaths kept by the VA and send his inspection reports to the District Statistical Officer regularly.
- Any other function entrusted to by Superior Officers
The above is illustrative and not exhaustive